Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stop Lying about How Much You Work


"It seems harmless enough. You start with a little lunchtime banter about your 70-hour workweeks. Then you tell your spouse you can’t help with the holiday cards because these 80-hour workweeks are killing you. Next thing you know, at a cocktail party, you’re one-upping the guy complaining about his 80-hour weeks by moaning about the 90 hours you put in.

Yes, it’s the scourge of workweek inflation, ubiquitous among the professional set. Years ago, I used to take such numbers seriously. I would write articles about the injustice of white-collar sweatshops foisting such punishing schedules on their employees. Then, at some point, I went to a party where a young man told me, straight-faced, about his 190-hour workweeks.

A week, incidentally, has 168 hours."

Read more

Aizudin - I believe this applies to not only Americans, but all workers worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment